This free community event draws thousands of book-lovers from across the Lower Mainland to the streets around the Vancouver Public Library.
Activities at Word on the Street include:
- Author readings featuring a wide variety of West Coast writers;
- Marketplace with exhibitors selling books and sharing information about their programs, services and products;
- Magazine Life, featuring local magazines, panel discussions, demonstrations and performances;
- CBC Plaza, where you can meet CBC Radio hosts and the stars of popular TV shows — Being Erica, Heartland — and upcoming shows like Men with Brooms and the new season of Battle of the Blades;
- Family Literacy Tent with literacy education organizations such as the Canucks Family Education Centre;
- Sony Reader Lounge, for a hands-on demo of their e-reader (got to say, I wasn’t impressed last year, but I’m going to give it another try);
- Writing and publishing workshops;
- Kids activities such as storytelling, book making (supplies provided), a festival scavenger hunt, and a giant word search.
Also during Word on the Street, the Vancouver Public Library will reveal the pick for One Book, One Vancouver. Will The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, or The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy be victorious? Can’t wait to find out!